Invergordon take on St Duthus to lift the Football Times Cup at Golspie


Invergordon are the Football Times Cup winners this season after Andrew Miller’s late brace secured a 3-1 win over St Duthus.

Tain Saints, who are the holders of the North Caledonian Cup, take on the current league champions was always going to be a hotly contested derby at King George V Park, Golspie.

The winners got off to the perfect start when – after just five minutes – Ken Morrison opened the scoring.

It was the only goal of the first half and St Duthus equalized seven minutes after the break through Bradi Hulme’s equaliser.

With the tie going to the wire, it was Miller’s turn with goals in the 85th and 88th minutes to finally get the better of the Saints and replace Thurso as the holder of that silverware.

North Caledonian Football Association secretary Sandy Stephen presented the cup to Invergordon’s Jack Mackay, while Saints goalkeeper William Godding was named man of the match.

Golspie stunned by endemic Alness

In the North Caledonian league, it was a good day for the Loch Ness leaders, even though they didn’t kick the ball.

Indeed, main pursuers Golspie Sutherland suffered a 6-2 defeat at Alness United, who moved into fourth.

Two goals in three first-half minutes from Alexander Mackay put the home side in control, but Owen Harrold’s response just before the break made it 2-1.

Mikey Grimes for Alness then Miller Mackay entered the scoresheet before Michael Mckenzie and Ryan McFee pushed Alness 5-2 in front and Jude Fraser completed it.

The result means Loch Ness retain their five-point advantage over Golspie, with the two having played 10 times.

MacLeod doubles for Inverness

Two late goals from Inverness Athletic turned what looked like a defeat into a 2-1 win over 10th-placed Thurso at North Kessock.

Robert McLean’s goal six minutes before the break put Thurso ahead as they aimed to stay above a basement battle.

Ryan MacLeod scored two late goals to see the Stuart brothers and Andrew Ross find their way back to winning ways after a 3-2 loss to Halkirk United last week.

Thurso finished with 10 men when Jack Mackechnie was sent off in the final minute.

Halkirk’s Henderson scores a brace

Halkirk United are well placed in sixth place after their 3-1 home win against Orkney.

After a scoreless first half, Kyle Henderson put the Anglers ahead in the 57th minute.

Chris Hellewell equalized for Orkney just after the hour mark, but a kick from Andrew Mackay and then another for Henderson secured three points.

Halkirk are now level with Alness and Invergordon on 18 points, despite having played one and four more games respectively.

Orkney, who are ninth after 10 games, are nowhere near claiming the title this year.

Victory on the edge of Clach; Bonar game stopped

Kai Reid’s 74th-minute goal gave Clachnacuddin A a 1-0 win over Nairn County to take 12th-placed Lilywhites within a point of their battered visitors with three games less.

The match between Bonar Bridge and Fort William had to be abandoned after 50 minutes due to a serious leg injury to a Bonar player. This fixture had been moved from Claggan Park to Migdale Park.

Saturday’s pick of matches will see Inverness Athletic take on Loch Ness at Fortrose.

Already subscribed? Login

[Invergordon see off battling St Duthus to lift Football Times Cup in Golspie]



About Author

Comments are closed.